Thursday, January 13, 2011

Holding hands

One thing that makes me smile is when I see people holding hands. Whether that be a boyfriend holding his girlfriends hand, a child's arms reaching up between both parents, or a wife linking fingers with her husband--they all make me smile. There is something so heart-warming about that simple gesture of touch. Like a comfort of security.

As I was walking to work [I have the best "commute" ever! My preschool job is literally a 3 minute stroll from where I live!], I saw an older couple crossing the street, holding hands, and I couldn't help myself from smiling. It was just so cute to watch.

I remember as a child, reaching up to hold my daddy's hand for no reason at all but to know that he was close by, so close, that I can touch him...and hold his hand. I remember my mom instinctively reaching out to hold my hand as we crossed the street to enter the store...even though I am already 25 years old. I remember squeezing the hand of my [then] boyfriend as he walked me to the car that would bring me to the airport. I remember my baby niece curling her fingers around my index finger as she slept when she was only a few day old, and then a few years later, trustingly reaching up to hold my hand as we walked around the mall.

My heart smiles when a child holds my hand. As a preschool teacher, this happens a lot...and I know that I will never take it for granted. It's like saying, "I trust you" in a way.

"When you feel alone, just look at the spaces between your fingers and remember that's where mine fit perfectly."