Monday, January 10, 2011

First Day.

6:45am. I'm awake before that. Could be because I'm anxious. Could be because I'm excited. Or just because-no reason but the fact that I am awake. I drag myself out of bed...and before I know it I'm walking to school. Walking to school...wow, haven't done that since the Philippines! But this time I am a teacher! Crazy!

I had a pretty eventful day. Didn't know what I was getting to, but I knew I was going to love it. The kids are SOO loving. So very loving and just randomly they would run up to me and give me a hug! Lets see, I got called Miss Cherry, Miss Chateetee, Miss Aunty, Teacher Aunty...and they finally settled on Teacher Trinity! *laughs* Is my name so hard to pronounce?! My other preschool that I worked at in Cali also ended up calling me that! So, I guess Teacher/Miss Trinity it is...or just plain, Aunty.

My biggest challenge for this job will be the names. Growing up in Cali, the names were pretty straight forward. Every so often we would get that "interesting" name with that "unique" twist to it. But for the most part it was easy to memorize the names. But here, they have their Hawai'ian names! And even though I think that they are beautiful names...I can't seem to remember it! Or when the child comes up to me and starts talking in pidgin or Hawai'ian! And I'm like say what?! That's my biggest challenge, but for the most part, my little kiddies are awesome...and they are amazing in every way.

I never went to preschool growing up, but I did go to Day Care while my mother was going to school. And I can still remember bits and pieces. I remember loving it and having a lot of fun. I remember the head teacher dressing up as Big Bird off of Sesame Street for Halloween. I remember Easter Egg hunts, and ooblick. I remember eating clam chowder for lunch one day *laughs* and eating green eggs and ham for St. Patrick's Day. I even remember that my cubby hole was on the bottom shelf! Oh mandope, little did I know that I would be teaching in that age group when I grew older. And I know that I will do my absolute best to give the children that are placed in my care the same happy memories that I did.

I think I can claim the gift of having patience with children. I do NOT have the patience with dealing with anyone older than a child though. By then you should know better...and you have no excuse for the things you do. But children want to learn. They want to explore. They want to be curious and find things out. They have no thought beyond the next second and do not have minds that are tainted with the realities of life. Everything they do is innocent, no matter what we may think about it, or how we perceive their actions, it is done through innocent curiosity. They learn on the way how to push our buttons though. And by the time they are in first grade they use that talent [of learning how to push our buttons] against you. So that is why I like the preschool age. Because it's still innocent curiosity. And I love that.

First day down...and hopefully many more to come. :) Today was a success and tomorrow will be just a as good. I just hope it doesn't rain while I have to walk to school or home. That would just plain suck.



"Maybe we should develop a Crayola bomb as our next secret weapon. A happiness weapon. A beauty bomb. And every time a crisis developed, we would launch one. It would explode high in the air-explode softly-and send thousands, millions of little parachutes into the air. Floating down to earth-boxes of Crayolas. And we wouldn't go cheap, either-not little boxes of eight. Boxes of sixty-four, with the sharpner built right in. With silver and gold and copper, magenta and peach and lime, amber and umber and all the rest. And people would smile and get a little funny look on their faces and cover the world with imagination."-Robert Fulghum