Friday, January 14, 2011

Barefoot.

I love walking barefooted. That might come as a surprise to a lot of people, because one of the many things that I love to shop for is shoes. I love shoes, yes, I will not deny that. But to walk barefoot has a liberating quality to it that makes you feel young again. I don't know what it is, but I love shoes. Heels. Flip-flop. Sandals. Wedges. Stilettos. I love them all. But I still love walking around with nothing on my feet.

I know that sometimes it's disgusting, because I have this thing about feet, that I don't really like my feet dirty. *laughs* But I do like walking around barefooted. I remember running around the grass in the sprinkles on a hot, summer California day with no shoes on; just having the time of my life. And whenever I go barefoot it brings me back to those carefree days.

I still have a huge collection of shoes. And it's still growing, but ever since I came here to Hawaii, my flip-flop collection is growing. If I can't be barefoot, I would wear flip-flops everywhere for everything. But not all the time. Like I said, I love shoes. :)

One thing different working here in HI as a preschool teacher and in CA as a preschool teacher is the fact that in CA they children NEVER take off their shoes. Here in HI, the children will "loose" their slippers the moment they come play because they take off their slippers and never even bother looking for them until their parents/guardians come pick them up after school. All my lil' children love to run around from here to there with no shoes on. Barefoot. And I love it. [Well, when they need to go to the bathroom, I'm not too happy that they don't wear shoes/slippers though!!]

But watching my little four-year-olds go through school with no shoes or slippers, but barefoot makes me smile. Nothing "cages" them in. They are free. They are happy. They are my lil' Hawaiian children. And I love them.

"If I had my life to live over, I would start barefoot earlier in the spring and stay that way later in the fall. I would go to more dances. I would ride more merry-go-rounds. I would pick more daisies."