Tuesday, September 23, 2014

My Classroom.

The very first time I stepped into my new classroom, I have to admit I was discouraged. It literally was just a bare classroom with what looked like "junk" all over the place. Granted I did take into consideration that for a week it was "cleaning" week at the school and they probably just took the room apart to clean it and then just stuck everything back into it.  But in all serious, they couldn't at least make it at least a little bit more like a classroom, because I really discouraged and wondered if this was what I really wanted.

I mean, I knew that I was going to leave my former school, but yet I still fixed up the classroom all bomb and everything. I took the time to make it a classroom. The room the I entered was anything but a classroom at the time. I do have to say though that I do appreciate how Karlie helped me move things around until I was satisfied with the layout. But that first day that I went there, was something that I will not forget...something that felt like I might have made the wrong choice when leaving my previous school.

I am glad, though, that I do not feel like that anymore. Once I was able to get the class layout the way I wanted, the rest of the classroom came along. There was a LOT of stuff. And I mean, a LOT of stuff. There is still a lot of stuff there that I know that I don't want, but I have no idea where I can put everything! I am always trying to do something to my classroom because even though I like it a million times more than that first time I came into the classroom, it's not to my satisfaction.

I have to say though, that it's finally beginning to feel as if it is "my" classroom. It's getting there in organization. That was hard to do...trying to get everything organized and in it's place. I was still working at my former place while trying to get this classroom up and running and it was hard...and at times I was bitter about that...but at least now it's starting to get there.

I believe the classroom is a very important place for a child. It is the first place a parent looks. Well, usually at least. They want to see the place where their child is going to be and where they are going to learn. I felt as if they made my room into a storage room and so I had a lot of "junk" that I really didn't need. I still have a lot of excess stuff that I have no idea what I'm going to do with...but like I said, it's getting there. And I know that soon it will be to my liking.

I am the kind of teacher that likes a lot of visuals on my walls. I like using the children's art as the main decorations for my walls...but since I am a visual kine person, I like to put a lot of colorful posters, letters, colors, and such up on my walls. I also do not like my shelves stuffed with toys. Right now there are a lot more toys out than I would normally like, only because in every place where I can store toys, there are toys there already...so for right now I have to keep the toys right where they are. But I will say that I have already put at least 50% of the toys away already!

Anyway, on the day that was my official start day, I was giving a $50 gift card to use for my classroom and so I decided to jump on a teacher resource site and buy some things that I want for my classroom. It's not much but it is a start and it's something that I think will be beneficial for my kids.

Today, when I got home, this is what was waiting for me outside my house.


I wonder what happened to the box because...


...there was tape that was wrapped around it to reseal it...and that was not a good thing! 


But at least when I opened the box, everything was there...and it seemed like all in good condition too, so maybe the box just accidentally opened or something and they were nice enough to reseal the box. :)


So, Mandy, who is also a teacher, told me about this site and so I decided to pick a few things up from here. I was disappointed though because even though it said that no matter what, the shipping would be $5.99...my shipping ended up being nearly $10.00...but I really wanted the stuff for the classroom, that I ended up paying for the shipping. Obviously all this was way more that $50, but the gift card did help some, so that was really appreciated.


The first thing that I knew I wanted were these name plates. They ended up being a lot bigger than I thought...yes, I know I should have looked at the measurements, but it's all good. It's not bad at least. :)


What I was planning to do with these is write the child's name on it and leave the names on my writing center so that they can use it when they write in their journals. Each child will have their name on the card and for the most part, all my kids know what their name looks like, and so I am encouraging them to learn how to write their name independently without me. So with these cards I hope that they can get used to coping their name in their journals without me verbally telling them how to. And to, it will help them know how to and practice writing their friends names as well. That's not always a bad thing. :)


When I first saw this mini bulletin board set of the alphabet, I fell in love with it! They are fun, colorful and on each of them it gives and example of what the letter sounds like. I have not yet decided I was going to put this on the wall around my writing center or use them during circle time as an letter recognition activity. I am leaning more towards putting them on the wall...but we will see.


I need a calendar. I do have a class calendar in my room, but it's velcro-ed together, and even though I like that, I was able to buy previously for my former classroom all these calendar stuff that was NOT velcro-ed and so I figured that I can put this to good use. Can't hurt, right?!


I am planning to use to for letter/number recognition. I have been getting asked by multiple parents that they want their children to learn their alphabet recognition, sounds, and writing. So I have several (if not plenty!) activities using site cards and items to help promote alphabet learning.


And just because it was on sale, I decided to get these flash cards. They will also help aid in my letter recognition and sounds teaching. 

So, those are a few things that I have gotten for my classroom. Although, in the beginning was apprehensive about starting a new place...I am glad that I am where I am today. I do miss my former keikis terribly, but it's okay, because although they can never be replaced, my new kids are quickly helping me heal my sad heart. Then to, I can still go and see my former keikis whenever. :)

When my classroom is to my liking, I will might post up pictures of it. The teachers there have been a big help in throwing ideas out there with. They are a bunch that are fun and easy to work with. And I am enjoying myself here and happy. :)