Monday, April 25, 2011

Eleven minutes.

When I was in the Philippines I survived by constantly being around my friends [a lot of foreigners that were in the same situation as I was], running in the morning and night to get rid of negative energy, working out/lifting weights, music [oh mandope, music helped me a lot!], dancing, my roomates [for 2 years, then I lived on my own when they graduated], and my neighbor/best[guy]friend - more like the whole apartment complex and all the people that lived there.
Pictures of me and my two roomies that helped me survived
I had the best haven to get away from all the hardships and stress. Gate 2, Go Apartments. The best. I was the only girl on my floor and for a really long time, the only girl [student] in my whole apartment complex. And all of us became good friends and it was our little haven to do whatever we want. We were all mostly foreigners except for my neighbors on the left who were local Filipino's...they were the best though. We all would leave our doors open and we would just walk in whenever we want too so it seems. When one cooked, we all cooked for everyone. And music was ALWAYS being played. My local Filipino's would always make me popcorn whenever I had a bad day.

I was showing my mom "the short" cut from my apartment to school!
The sign says, "Jumping the wall is not allowed, P1000 if caught" :)

When I rescued my little kitties, Triszanah and Toby, the whole apartment complex helped me take care of them when I was off in school and I couldn't watch them...especially those times where I had to stay the whole weekend in the Psych department. They were the best. I wouldn't mind leaving my door unlocked when I was gone either, so that they can watch movies or just more space to do homework [I lived by myself in a 2 bedroom/1 bathroom, living room, kitchen apartment], or if they needed my stove.




I got super close with my neighbor. Achalu. He became my best friend. Well, more than a best friend...I don't know what's that would be called. We never got "together", but we were pretty close. He made me smile when I thought I couldn't. He would wake up early to go jogging and work out with me so I didn't have to go alone, he would cook for me when I was too busy to cook, we would watch movies at his apartment together, take our study breaks together. I think those were one of my favorite times. Our study breaks. He just graduated from Medical Technology and I'm super proud of him. Because when I was there and was taking Psychology we would stay up all night long, and he would make sure that I would take a study break and bring out the coffee and we would go out on the balcony and sit out there for a few minutes juss talking, and looking at the stars and moon. Full moons make me think of him.

He would laugh because there would be times where I would go to his apartment to study because my apartment had too much stimulation for me to be distracted and so I would go to his [think bachelor pad! Nothing there! :)]...and he would laugh because he could tell I was studying, but I would move a lot, hum to myself, dance, switch positions, sit down, lay down...but study all the while. I could never sit still.

I will never forget New Years Eve/Day 2009. It was only us....everyone already went home. The first AND LAST time I'll ever get drunk. He took care of me...NEVER took advantage of me...and I will always trust him for that.

When it came closer to the time that I left, it was more sadder and sadder as the days came by. It's always sad to say goodbye to someone you grow to care about. He actually never said bye. When it was time for me to leave, he never showed up. He called instead. He didn't want to say goodbye because he didn't want to see me cry...and there was no goodbyes. But I won't forget our last few days/nights. Pumping up the music dancing, last minute conversations, late-night starbucks runs, coffee/wine/pizza dates out on the balcony, just spending time together.

We knew that once I left, it won't ever be the same again. He's Ethiopian, he's going to go back home. I live here in Hawaii...long distance suck. But he is one person that I have kept in contact with. He called me last night. At 1:30am-1:41am...11 minutes and it was so good to hear his voice. I'm a light sleeper so when the phone rang and I saw that it was unknown, I didn't know if I wanted to pick it up...but I'm glad I did. I haven't heard his voice since April 2009, but from the first "Hello Charity..." He has this way of saying it, and I knew right away that it was him and I was like "Achalu?!"

Eleven minutes and we said so much. We talked about the moon, how we missed our balcony dates, our study breaks, watching movies in each other's apartments. He told me about graduation, and I told him how happy I am living here. [I told him my dreams was to live here in Hawaii a long time ago, and he admires the fact that I did it], He told me how all the Ethiopians say hi [I knew a lot of them through him], I told him that I still stay in contact with some of my friends from there. And once again, we confirmed our dates.

When I told him that my favorite place in the world is Hawaii, even before I had an inkling I was going to move here, we set a date to meet up. No matter what, even if we were married or not, with kids or not...we would bring ourselves [and our family if we had by then] and meet here in Hawaii on June 17, 2020.

He loves Fiji, so August 25, 2020 we will meet there- married or not, kids or not, no matter what.

That's our dates: June 17, 2020-Hawaii, August 25, 2020- Fiji...I can't wait, Achalu. I miss you.
March 25, 2009, Eddie's Dedication

"If you're alone, I'll be your shadow. If you want to cry, I'll be your shoulder. If you  want a hug, I'll be your pillow. If you need to be happy, I'll be your smile. But anytime you need a friend, I"ll just be me."-Author Unknown