Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Sea glass.

http://designhermind.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/sea-glass-007nx2c.jpg
My sister collects sea glass. A couple weeks ago when we went to the secret beach at North Shore, she was able to get a few pieces there and she put it in her back pack for safe-keeping. This last weekend, I used my sister's back-pack when I went biking at Ka'ena Point. Since we left so early, I know I just emptied everything out of the bag and now the sea glass is sitting here at my desk.

This morning when my phone alarm went off, I reached for it and instead of grabbing my phone, my fingers brushed against the sea glass. Grabbing it and my phone, I pressed the snooze button on my phone and spent my "snooze" time just looking at the smoothed out, burnt orange, piece of glass.

I wonder how long it took the waves to form this piece of glass. Broken glass is sharp, shiny even with the ability to cut though skin. Through constant rolling in the sand from the waves, this pence of glass was able to become a collector's item. Who knew that a broken piece of glass would one day be admired enough to add it to a collection of other broken pieces of glass?
http://dapfh.tumblr.com/page/4

I love the ocean. It's my place to get away from everything. Swimming in the ocean relaxes me. I love just swimming out, flip over and just lay on the waves and let the ocean relax me and carry all my stress away for just a moment. I know right now, I'm confused about a lot things, and I'm trying to sort things out in my life. I'm just like a broken piece of glass, sharp, and unformed. But living here in Hawaii, near to my beloved ocean, I feel as if I'm finally finding myself. I know who I am, but I think I'm finally understanding who I am.

I think the the ocean has healing powers. Oh that reminds me! Last Sunday when I was swimming at Queens Beach in town, I was really scared. They had put out signs that they had spotted jellyfish and that swimmers should be careful when they go out swimming because yeah, swimming into a jellyfish would NOT be good. I have already gotten stung by a jellyfish, was NOT fun. So I was just standing in the water being all scared to swim out...when I saw anther sign being put out. I yelled at my brother and was like, please don't let it be warning about sharks!!, and he yelled about that it was sign saying "healing waters" and I was like whatever!! But it really was! *laughs* So, I did my 2 1/2 hours of swimming that day. Yes, I believe the ocean and it's waves can do a lot of things...including make a nuisance piece of glass turn into a collectors item.

"Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war." - Loren Eiseley